Thursday, May 26, 2011

Let's talk Food for a minute.

Hi, I'm moving around a little late this early afternoon. Well, I left the bistro I helped open and have moved on to one of my all time favorite restaurants. I never mention the names publicly on the blog, but if you must know, well then you can email me and I will be happy to tell you.
If your a foodie it will be very easy to figure it out anyway.

Been doing Italian for the past while and after opening the bistro in the Woodlands, I have to tell you it was quite exciting to move downtown to a 40 year institution in Houston. It burned down during Ike and reopened in 2010. The last hint is that we serve cajun cuisine with a continental flair. A regular taste of "Nawlins".

I am saucier chef de parti, which is a fancy way of saying "the saute line cook". What the hell does that mean? Well without getting into a culinary lesson, the traditional large kitchen staff was set up under the "brigade" system. Yes, that is a military term as well. In the kitchen it is a chain of command or order to the actual food production.
It was developed by Escoffier and identifies who's who and what their responsibilities are. It's really very interesting, even if your not all that into food. Moving on.

I was saying, it is an honor to be part of such history and tradition that this restaurant offers. Then there is the food!!! Oh my gosh, the meats, the fowl, the fish and the soups. The sauces, the desserts. The best of the best and only, yes only, the freshest ingredients. At my station I prepare the red fish in a chardonnay fume with risotto and lump crab topping, or the Texas Strip with a wild mushroom demi on top of lyonnaise potato's with spinache. If fish and steak are not your thing, I also prepare the duck and duck sausage with fried rice a blue berry demi and topped with julienned tomatoes, and bean sprouts presented with a fried quail egg. Yes it frigging rocks. You might want to order something more traditionaly cajun, like a crawfish mache choux, very similiar to etouffe but a few ingredients make it different. There is also the gulf coast shrimp chippiwa. Five jumbo U 12 shrimp sauteed table side and served with corn grits and an acadian sauce that is out of this world. All of this comes from my station, then there are the others that prepare their own menu items that are just as exciting and unique.

I'm getting hungry..... and I just wanted to talk about something other than obozo for a change. Now that the bistro is up and running and I have moved to my dream job, I will have more time to tell you just what I think!
Peace, from Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment