Thursday, February 16, 2012

Racism and politics, the recipe of Hate!


Hi, good morning!  I know that just reading the title alone sounds creepy, it might even send a chill up your spine.  I'm betting that as you read it, you thought back to the most alarming personal experience you have ever had with racism.   It was the "H" word that triggered that response, especially with the words that accompanied it. I would hope that after reading this opinion, each of you would take a moment and turn it over in your head.  How do you deal with it, what are you doing about it.  Racism is alive and well and I am afraid it is gaining momentum.   

I admit, I have used racial slurs.  I honestly think that most of us have, I would go as far to say, I think racism is in each of us to some extent.  We have been conditioned all of our lives by our families, our friends, schools and our environment.  Think of the media, the arts, government and yes, even our places of worship.  In each of these examples, how have they impacted racial issues?  How many positive programs have they provided and finally, how many were successful?  I realize it is a highly complicated issue and that the variables are unending.  The absolute most horrific aspect of racism, is that is a learned trait.  Have you ever thought about that?  How many of us has stood over our children as they have slept, and while gazing upon their innocent forms, wished evil upon them?

The other day I decided to go back and read all of my postings.  Yeah, I live an exciting life!  But really, I discovered that my writing, though quite often it may suck, my opinion does come across illustrated.  To some, I am racist myself.  To them, I would say that would not be an an unfair criticism.  However if actions speak louder than words, then judge me by my actions.

The truth of the matter is that racism is the pink elephant in the room.  Based on observation, for the most part, people want to be around others like themselves.  Is that a fair statement?  Sure there are always the exceptions, but think about it.  Start with color if you want, then income levels as another and so on.  In my opinion income is the largest deciding factor, everything else is just trickle down.

In real life we all have to deal with it in some shape or form, I think my issue is trying to keep fair standards across the board, and yes I feel like Sisyphus.  Am I realistic?  Maybe not.  But I will tell you this, I do not harbor any "white guilt".  Slavery was terrible, is terrible.  Many people died in the Civil war to help bring an end to it, Abraham Lincoln abolished it with the Emancipation Proclamation  on January 1st, 1863.  That is when the work began.  Was it fair?  Hell no, but life isn't fair!  In my opinion it does not give the black race an endless freedom to use it as an excuse.  That is what it has become.  Think about the term "race card' and how it is used.  Think about non blacks, and how all are held to a higher standard when it comes to "racist speak".  In order to move forward, you must let go of the past. 

How do you defend your self against being a racist and racism itself?  It is difficult to do so with out coming off as being the very thing you are arguing against.             

******
This was found on Yahoo, and is attributed to "The Blaze - Saturday February 11, 2012".

"Jackson previously made political headlines in October, when he agreed with fellow actor Morgan Freeman's assessment that the Tea Party was "racist."

“It’s pretty obvious what they are,” Jackson said in an interview with New York Magazine. “The division of the country is not about the government having too much power. I think everything right now is geared toward getting that guy out of office, whatever that means.”

Jackson continued, “It’s not politics. It is not economics. It all boils down to pretty much to race. It is a shame.”

******
Politics and racism feed off each other, voices are raised and fingers are pointed.

The shame is, there is NO such thing as equal accountability.  As I have stated before, one person can make a difference, but two can change the world.  Care to join me?

From Texas,

No comments:

Post a Comment