Friday, February 3, 2012

Thaddeus Matthews, outspoken or racist?

Wow!  I was surfing the net this a.m. and came across a news article on FOXNEWS.  If you have never heard of radio station WPLX - AM, out of Memphis, then google it!  Thaddeus Matthews, the DJ and  owner has garnered quite a bit of attention after twisting off on Charlotte Bergmann.   Ms. Bergmann, who is black and a Republican congressional candidate, was being interviewed by Mr. Matthews on WPLX.    You can read it here, 


http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/03/outrage-subdued-after-dj-gop-congressional-candidate/
  
Let me tell you what I did.  I called the radio station.  A voice answered and I asked whom I was speaking with.  I was asked who I would like to speak with and I answered, the station manager.  The voice said "your speaking to the station manager", I said great, I have a comment on Mr. Matthews recent interview with Ms. Bergmann.  Well, at this point it went south.  I was told that I was speaking with Mr. Matthews and that he had no further comment.  So I asked him if it was because I was white?  Did I bait him?  Maybe, but it was not my intention.  He told me "no" not because I was white, but because I was a "Motherfucking Ass".  My response was "Thanks, love ya brother", at which time he hung up on me.  Yes, I have been called that before or something very close anyway.  My point is, I was trying to get another angle on the story.  I was interested in "his side" of the story.  Needless to say, that did not happen. 


So what was it?  Racism or being outspoken?  It seems to me that our war on racism is going nowhere.  We can point blame in every direction, and we're all to blame.  I certainly do not have the answer, but I know there is a problem.  My one request would be for all of us to be held to the same accountability, and rules.  No, I'm not going to go into the "what if" questions and comparisons.  That has grown old and tired.    


I read somewhere that "white guilt" is dying, and I do believe it to be true.  The blame for this I lay squarely on individuals like Mr. Matthews.  When you have double standards, you perpetuate racism on all sides.  For the record, Mr. Matthews did make an "on air" apology of sorts for using white racial slurs, but at the same time standing firm on his use of black racial slurs toward Ms. Bergmann.  In the end, Mr. Matthews will take the heat for awhile.  I expect someone will come to his defense as well.  Imagine how many phone calls like mine he will receive and how that will only infuriate him more.  I guess only his sponsor's will have the option of supporting this type of discourse or decide against it.  Keep in mind that this the media after all.


From Texas   

No comments:

Post a Comment