Saturday, March 26, 2011

WTF???? Rhymes with Geoduck!


Now you know why this piece has the title it does. I have never heard of this bad boy. I've lived in southern cali, and even in Seattle for awhile. Dug for clams in both places, now I see this and yeah, WTF?

I found the article posted on FOXNEWS.COM and had to share it.
It’s not a duck, but it sure is gooey.

"The poorly-spelled geoduck, which is pronounced “gooey duck,” is a large, burrowing clam that is native to the coastal waters of the Pacific Northwest. With a six-inch shell and up to a three-foot long siphon sticking out of it, it’s an odd duck, to say the least.

Burrowing deep within the soil below the salty waters, the mollusk has been known to live up to 150 years thanks to a paucity of predators for the strange-looking creature. But, of course, we number among them.

Not a common site on American tables outside of Washington and Oregon, the geoduck is close to common fare in its natural habitat, where its scallop-like texture is found to be appealing to many shellfish fans. Available for less than $10 a pop in local spots like Seattle's Pike Place Market, your best bet for buying it outside of the region is from online outlets like Marx Foods or Taylor Shellfish Farms, but it can cost $25 per pound or more.

Perhaps not surprisingly, it is also a prized delicacy in East Asia, where it is considered by some to be an aphrodisiac. A passing glance at its shape probably explains why.

Over there it’s eaten every which way – with spicy chilies, wasabi, and even raw – but geoduckrecipes.com suggests trying it in a white wine risotto with parmesan cheese, which sounds pretty tasty, but would you eat it?".

Would you? As a working chef, I can promise you I would give it a try and I have aready been thinking about all the cool things you could do with it.

Currently working on a piece for my soap box, a little ranting and raving. We been so busy trying to get the new place open that I have actually been able to sleep like a normal person. Go figure. Anyway I hope you believers out there are praying for Japan, as am I. I know the timing is never right for such a devestating event to occur. I'm just looking for a "silver lining" for lack of a better term. I was talking to some friends, as well as co workers, even my mother about the radiation exposure. What struck me as awesome was that each of us had thought on own, that maybe this was God saying "whoa, you need to rethink this nuclear bomb and nuclear war threats. Look what POSITIVE nuclear use is capable of, stay away". I'm hoping all living people are thinking the same thing as well. Nuclear weapons and radiation death is the gift that keeps on giving.
Please pray and give what you have to offer the Japanese. I cannot imagine the horrors and fear that must be rampant in that beautiful country.
From Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment